Brooklyn Criminal Defense Lawyer
Pay Through The Website
Brooklyn Criminal Defense Attorney Attorney Profile Case Results Testimonials Brooklyn Criminal Defense Contact Us
Criminal Defense
Alcoholic Beverage Control Law (ABC) Violations
Breath & Blood Tests
Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument
Domestic Violence
Drug Crimes
Endangering the Welfare of a Child
Grand Larceny & Petit Larceny
Hit & Run
Juvenile Crimes
Motor Vehicle Crimes (VTL)
Patronizing a Prostitute
Drug Sales
Sex Crimes
Sex Offender Registration
Sex with a Minor
State Liquor Authority (SLA) Hearings
Theft Crimes
Vehicular Manslaughter
Violent Crimes
Weapons Possession
Areas We Serve

Click here to learn more by reading our Brooklyn Criminal Defense Blog
Click here for additional helpful information
Read about Michael J. Redenburg Learn about your options. Tell us what happened

False Arrest Claims

September 21, 2012

The New York City Police Department ("NYPD") is charged with protecting the great city we live in. As a general rule, the police department does a fine job of serving and protecting the City; however, when an individual who is arrested feels wronged as a result of the arrest, they may be able to bring a civil case to remedy the wrong. Most of these cases are brought in Federal Court and available causes of action include excessive force, malicious prosecution and false arrest. Following arrest, an individual who is released from Central Booking without seeing a judge will likely a cause of action for false arrest. If your case is subsequently dismissed after appearing in court following your arrest, you will likely have causes of action for both false arrest and malicious prosecution.

But what about when you are charged with a violation or a crime, and then your case is ACD or Adjourned in Contemplation of Dismissal? Do you still have a right to pursue a civil case for money damages against the City of New York and the NYPD? Most of the time, even if you accept an ACD, you DO NOT give up your right to sue the police for false arrest or false imprisonment. Accepting an ACD is not an admission of guilt.

If you were arrested and the criminal proceeding brought against you was resolved in your favor, dismissed, or you accepted an ACD, you may have the right to sue. Contact a false arrest lawyer to discuss whether such a case is viable.

To view a copy of a False Arrest lawsuit filed by the firm on December 28, 2012, click this link -

Brooklyn Criminal Defense Attorney | Contact Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy

Attorney Web Design

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Address: 150 Broadway, Suite 808, New York, NY 10038 Phone: (718) 509-9203

Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. PC Reviews on ProvenCredible | Powered By Qualified Impressions

Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. PC on ProvenCredible