What Injuries Are Common in East Village, NYC Bicycle Accidents
Our experienced bike accident lawyers have been helping people seek full compensation for serious injuries for more than a decade. We have the resources to handle the most challenging cases. Among our many honors and awards, we have a Five Star/10 rating from AVVO and Five Star Google Rating as well! To speak to one of our bike accident attorneys, call our NYC Office at 212-240-9465.
Bicycle helmets offer some protection to cyclists in the East Village, NYC if they're involved in a bicycle crash. However, East Village cyclists are extremely vulnerable to serious injuries in a crash. Most small cars weigh a few thousand pounds, and larger vehicles like pickup trucks and SUVs may weigh 5,000 to 6,000 pounds or more. If a bicyclist is struck by a tractor-trailer or semi-truck, things can get bad. Even at low speeds, these vehicles have a tremendous amount of force when they strike a bicyclist in East Village, NY. If the bicyclist is hit by a larger vehicle, such as a semi-truck, their injuries may be catastrophic or even fatal.
Some of the most common types of injuries in bicycle accidents are:
- Fractures and broken bones, especially in the legs, hips and chest
- Torn muscles and ligaments, as well as other soft-tissue injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Crushed or severed limbs
- Neck and back injuries
- Damage to the spinal cord, including paralysis
- Head and face injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Injuries in an East Village bicycle accident can lead to expensive medical bills that can pile-up fast. If your injuries adversely affect your ability to work, then dealing with your medical care can become a financial nightmare. A skilled East Village bike accident attorney can help you file a claim against the motorist who caused your injuries and demand the compensation you need to cover your medical bills and other expenses.
Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents in the East Village, NYC include:
- Drunk or impaired driving
- Distracted drivers
- Inattentive drivers
- Drowsy drivers
- Aggressive driving (failing to use turns signals, speeding, unsafe merges, and lane changes, following too closely, stopping suddenly)
- Impatient drivers who do not give cyclists enough space while passing or try to pass when it is unsafe to do so
- Drivers opening their car doors without looking
You choose a bike for its power, its reliability and it's maneuverability. A law firm should give you the same satisfaction. Give us a look and you'll see why we measure up to those principles!
What Compensation Is Available for a Bicycle Accident in East Village, NYC?
Many bicycle accident victims find themselves facing significant medical expenses after their bicycle crash. Their injuries may prevent them from working and his can put an injured bicycle rider in a serious financial situation. If the insurance company denies or delays the claim, the situation can get even more stressful.
NYC law allows East Village bicyclists to recover compensation for their injuries and related expenses, after an accident, if they were the victim of someone else's negligence. Drivers have a responsibility to look out for cyclists. Drivers who disregard traffic laws and drive unsafely should be held accountable for the injuries they cause. When filing an injury claim against the at-fault driver, you may demand compensation for:
- Your past medical expenses, such as hospital stays, doctors' visits, prescription drugs, physical therapy, and lab work
- The cost of any future medical care you may need
- Your lost wages – past and future
- Your reduced capacity to work and earn a living
- Your physical pain and suffering
- Scarring and permanent disability
- Your emotional pain and suffering
How to Know If You Need Legal Help After a Bicycle Accident in East Village, NYC
If you were injured in an East Village bicycle accident, you should have a lawyer review the accident details and discuss your legal options. If someone else caused the bicycle accident, you may be entitled to file a claim for compensation. Failing to explore your legal options can prove quite costly.
An insurance company may dispute or deny a claim if it is not immediately clear who was at fault for a bicycle crash in East Village, NYC. An experienced bicycle injury lawyer at the Law Firm of Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. PC can gather the evidence needed to build a persuasive case for compensation on your behalf. If you don't have a skilled bike accident attorney representing your interests, you could wind up having your claim reduced, delayed, or flat-out denied.
Here are a few key indicators that you need help from an attorney after an East Village bicycle accident:
- Your injuries resulted in a permanent disability – Damage to your head, neck, back, or spinal cord from a bicycle accident can impair your ability to do many activities. These injuries often require ongoing, expensive treatment. You will need to take advantage of all the financial resources available to pay for the care you need.
- There's a dispute over who is at fault – If the party that caused your accident contests your claim, you'll need strong evidence to support your claim. To get maximum compensation for your injuries, you'll need extensive documentation of your losses and evidence of the other side's liability.
- There were multiple parties involved – Depending on the circumstances of the bicycle accident, there could be multiple parties potentially liable in your personal injury claim. More liable parties mean more insurance companies involved and more negotiations.
- Your insurance claim has been denied or delayed – Insurance companies often try to shade the facts of a case to limit their liability and how much they have to pay when someone makes a claim. They may even deny your claim outright. When this happens, you'll want a seasoned legal professional to help you refute their case so you can get the compensation you deserve.