You shouldn't be left to deal with the consequences on your own when someone else is at fault for your Greenwich Village bicycle accident. The experienced bicycle accident lawyers at Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. PC will demand accountability and fight to get the monetary compensation you're entitled to and you deserve.
Greenwich Village bicyclists are vulnerable to severe and life-changing injuries following a bike crash. Medical bills can pile-up fast, and a sudden loss of income will make an already traumatic situation even worse. The emotional trauma of being hit by a car can linger for a long time, sometimes even causing nightmares and paranoia.
Don't just level the playing field against massive insurance companies and other liable parties. Put yourself in the best position possible to win your case and maximize your financial recovery. Contact us to arrange for a free consultation today.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Greenwich Village
For the most part, Greenwich Village bicycle crashes are completely avoidable. But when they do happen, it is usually someone else's negligence that is the root cause of the event.
Some of the most common examples of negligence that we've seen contribute to the happening of bicycle crashes in Greenwich Village include:
- Failing to yield the right of way to bicyclists, particularly at an intersection
- Failing to look for bicyclists before making a turn or changing lanes
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Dooring, which is when a passenger in the car, without looking, opens the door on the side that the cyclist is rightfully proceeding on
- Improper and illegal turns
- Failing to leave enough room between a bicycle and vehicle while passing
- Following too closely
- Riding in a vehicle's blind spot
Treacherous weather conditions, road construction, defective vehicular parts, limited visibility, and road defects are also factors that can contribute to bicycle accidents in Greenwich Village.
Types of Catastrophic Injuries from Bicycle Accidents in Greenwich Village
Although wearing a bicycle helmet can mitigate serious head injuries and trauma, they cannot and do not prevent all head injuries. Even when a bicyclist is wearing a helmet, they can still sustain very serious injuries when they're involved in a crash with a motor vehicle, such as:
- Fractured bones
- Crush injuries
- Road rash and burn type injuries
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue neck and back injuries
- Internal organ damage and bleeding
- Trauma to the face, including dental injuries, broken nose, and eye injuries
If you are struck by an automobile or truck while cycling in Greenwich Village, NYC, it is imperative that you seek out immediate medical treatment. The sooner you can get to the hospital, the less of a chance there is that you'll experience complications. The hospital records also causally relate your injuries to the happening of the accident and are invaluable documents that will assist in the prosecution of your personal injury case down the road.
What Will a Greenwich Village Bicycle Lawyer do for Me After My Accident?
After your biking accident, the at-fault party's insurance company isn't going to make the process of getting compensation easy for you. They may try to tempt you into accepting a lowball offer, posit that liability is unclear, or even try to twist things around and blame you for the bike crash. Retaining our experienced Greenwich Village bicycle accident injury attorneys to represent you is one the most important decisions you can make right now. Not only will it put an experienced advocate on your side, but it will free-up the time you need to focus on recovering from the trauma you've gone through. We've spent decades gone head-to-head with the monster insurance companies and fought to make things right for injured cyclists just like you.
While you relax and engage in the recovery process, our attorneys will put in the hard work, resources, and invaluable experience to get you the results you deserve.
- Handle your bicycle injury case from start to finish. We'll keep you updated throughout the life of your case and be there to assist you making difficult decisions, such as whether to accept an appropriate settlement or prepare for trial.
- Put together important pieces of evidence to strengthen your case. We will obtain photographs and video footage (if available), the police report or accident report, medical records, witness statements, and other pertinent information.
- We may retain bicycle accident reconstructionists and other experts. Insurance companies will surely have experts working for them to deny and/or defeat your case and any recovery you are legally entitled to. You should as well. We have a network of specialists we can look to including vocational rehabilitation specialists, and more.
- Negotiate on your behalf to get you the best possible settlement or jury award on the day of trial. We'll attempt negotiating with the insurance company and other parties in order to get you a settlement offer that's indicative of the full value of your injuries sustained, pain and suffering.
- Try your case to verdict if a settlement cannot be reached. We want to get you the possible result. We'll never sacrifice the quality of our representation or settle for less than what you deserve. We prepare every case as if it will be trial case so that we're ready in the event we need to present your case to a jury.
Contact our personal injury law firm in NYC for more information. We offer a free case evaluation and are always available to provide the guidance you need.
Liability For Bicycle Accident Injuries in Greenwich Village
Under New York state law, anyone who directly or indirectly contributes to a bicycle crash can be held liable for the resulting harm and injuries caused by their negligence.
After our firm thoroughly investigates your bicycle accident, it may become clear that one or more of the following parties are liable:
- Driver of a car, truck, motorcycle, or another motor vehicle
- Another bicyclist or a pedestrian
- Government agencies responsible for road design or maintenance
- Property owners
- Employers of negligent parties
- Manufacturers of defective vehicles, bicycles, or safety equipment
Our experienced litigators will aggressively pursue compensation from all parties who share responsibility for your bicycle accident injuries and the trauma you've suffered.
What if the Other Party Blames Me for the Bicycle Accident?
New York is one of several states that follows a pure comparative negligence law system. Accordingly, you can recover compensation even if you are partially at fault for the bicycle accident. In such a scenario, your monetary damages will be adjusted to reflect your negligence. For example, if you are assigned 20 percent fault for your Greenwich Village bicycle accident, the court would reduce your damage award by 20 percent. Don't be surprised if the insurance company tries to blame you for your bicycle crash. The more fault you share, the less money they'll have to pay — and the less you'll get. Our bicycle injury attorneys will be prepared for these tactics and ready to fight back to minimize the appearance of your liability.