BICYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYERS IN NYC LOWER EAST SIDE
Representing Lower East Side Injured Bikers
Riding a bicycle is a great way to get around The Lower East Side of Manhattan, serving as an eco-friendly and extremely healthy alternative to congested traffic. However, drivers of cars and big trucks are not always observant of the space around bicyclists: In a single year, there are hundreds of thousands of bicycle crashes in the United States, while more than one thousand bicyclists succumb to their injuries.
At the law firm of Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. PC, our Lower East Side bicycle accident lawyers have helped many clients in the wake of life-changing bicycle accidents and injuries. We never hesitate to take on tough and complicated cases. We are proud of our ability to represent and protect the rights of severely injured clients.
How are Bicycle Accidents Caused?
There are many different causes of bicycle accidents, but because bicyclists are not well protected, they are at a far greater risk of sustaining severe injuries than those in a car or SUV. There can also be a multitude of factors involved in a cycling accident: A collision with a pedestrian or an open car door may not cause serious injuries on its own, for example, but it can send the cyclist into the path of oncoming cars or trucks causing catastrophic injuries.
Some of the most common ways that bicycle crashes occur on the Lower East Side of NY are:
- Crashes at intersections – A bicyclist pauses at an intersection but the operator of the car does not, resulting in a rear-end hit. Too many times, the driver is speeding or traveling too close and can't stop in time.
- Left-turn hits – As a bicyclist comes through an intersection, a truck already in the intersection makes a left-hand turn. A trucker who isn't paying attention causes the bicyclist to collide into the side of the truck.
- Right-hook collisions – As a cyclist and car approach an intersection, the car makes a right-hand turn, crossing the bicyclist's lane of travel & crashes into the cyclist, who is heading straight ahead. Often times the vehicle operator does not activate their turn signal.
- Crashes with doors – A vehicle occupant may open the door without looking into whether or not a cyclist is coming-up from behind. It can be all too easy for the bicyclist to slam into the door.
Although far too many bicycle accidents involve negligent actors, identifying and proving acts of negligence can be challenging. At Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. PC, we are careful to fully investigate your bicycle accident because we need to prove that you deserve the compensation we are seeking– or to prove to a jury that the accident was not your fault.
There are many thing that lead to bicycle accidents, and some of our cases have involved:
- Careless driving – Drivers of trucks and autos should share the road with bicyclists by paying attention and complying with all of the State's traffic laws. We've also found that careless drivers make mistakes based on poor judgment. Distracted driving, forgetting to signal or failing to yield the right-of-way contribute to bicycle accidents and the cyclists' resulting injuries.
- Road rage – It is no secret that drivers throughout Manhattan are usually in a big rush. Drivers move much faster than bicyclists, and hurried drivers oftentimes turn aggressively. Drivers can also be tailgating a cyclist to try and get a cycler to speed up. Drivers can also try to illegally pass cyclists and come too close for comfort, smashing into them. Road-ragers may even intentionally strike a biker due to anger.
- Opening doors in a bicyclist's path – As mentioned aforesaid, dooring accidents occur far too often. A cyclist coming into contact with a car door can cause devastating injuries.
Because of the severity of many bicycle accident injuries, victims can suffer significant losses. We know how to calculate high-value claims worth millions of dollars to ensure that tragically injured clients receive the amount they need to recover as much as possible, from medical care to lost wages to pain and suffering. Call 212-240-9465 for a free consultation and get the wheels of justice spinning for you!