Lower East Side Bicycle Accidents are not Uncommon and Their Consequences Can Be Severe
A collision between a bike and a car, truck, or SUV often times results in damaging or even fatal injuries to the bicyclists who are involved in the crash. These types of accidents typically have a devastating impact on the bicyclist because bicyclists lack the protections provided to motor vehicles, such as a frame and airbags. The body of the typical automobile serves as a shield for people inside of a motor vehicle and it protects them from direct contact with the road. Unlike drivers of motorized passenger vehicles, bicyclists are not afforded the same protections at the time of impact.
Too many Lower East Side bicyclists are injured every year and many experience debilitating injuries from crashes with motor vehicles that weigh thousands of pounds. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bike accident, you may be entitled to monetary compensation for your injuries and losses. We will evaluate the circumstances surrounding and facts of your bicycle accident to determine whether or not you may be entitled to financial compensation.
Bothmotor vehicles and bicyclists are expected to obey NYC's traffic laws. That said, drivers of cars, trucks and SUVs are required to follow additional guidelines and undertake certain safety precautions that are designed to protect bicyclists due to cyclists' heightened level of vulnerability on the streets throughout the Lower East Side of Manhattan.
- Drivers of motorized passenger vehicles must yield to bicyclists in a bike lane.
- Drivers of motorized passenger vehicles must yield to bicyclist on a sidewalk.
- Prohibitions on reckless vehicular assault of bicyclists.
- Drivers must drive to the left of bicyclist which they pass, at a safe distance, and only return to their original lane a safe distance away.
Prudent Safety Practices Can Reduce Bicycle Accident Injuries
To aid in avoiding accident-related injuries, be sure to cycle safely. Some basic steps that can reduce your risk of being involved in a serious bike accident include:
- Be sure to wear a helmet, shoulder pads, and knee pads.
- Equip your bicycle with headlights, bells, and a horn.
- Keep a close eye out for distracted drivers and try to meet their eye or slow down if you don't think that they can see you.
- When bicycling on the left hand side of parked cars, you should ride far enough to the left to avoid crashing into the door of a car if the driver suddenly opens the door in front of you.
- Don't ride against traffic: This is an extremely dangerous practice to be avoided at all costs. Every year bicyclists are seriously injured or worse yet, killed, because they choose to ride the wrong way down the road.
There are many dangerous, negligent (careless), or reckless practices that may contribute to a serious bicycle accident. Some of the most common causes of bike accidents on roadways are:
- Intoxicated drivers;
- Distracted drivers;
- Aggressive drivers;
- Fatigued drivers;
- Anxious or impatient drivers;
- Roads that are in a state of disrepair.
Serious bicycle accidents in New York City may lead to permanent life changes that can interfere with your profession, personal relationships and your ability to fully enjoy and participate in life's activities. When these simple pleasures are taken from a bike accident victim, it is both fair and reasonable that that victim should receive financial compensation for the injuries that he or she suffered. A negligent driver cannot give you back your ability to walk or the joy of being able to carry your child on your shoulders, but he or she can provide the financial compensation so that you can obtain the physical therapy and medical care you need to improve the quality of your post-accident life.
Injuries that can Result from Bicycle Accidents
If you are involved in a bike accident on the Lower East Side of NY, you may suffer serious injuries that have far-reaching and devastating consequences on your quality of life, that of your family, and your financial future. It is not uncommon for auto-bicycle collisions to result in the following life-altering injuries and medical conditions:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries, TBI
- Temporary loss of use of one's extremities.
- Internal organ damage.
- Soft tissue neck and back injuries
- Broken bones and contusions.
Recovering Damages that were the Result of a Bicycle Accident
The damages available in a bike-related accident lawsuit in Manhattan often include medical expenses including therapy, lost income, and pain and suffering. You need the assistance of experienced bicycle injury attorneys to determine what damages are recoverable given the specific details of your accident and injuries.
Our dedicated personal injury attorneys will handle the administrative and legal complications of your case so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries and caring for your family. We represent clients on a contingency fee basis so you do not pay until and unless we obtain a settlement or judgment in your lawsuit.