According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) statistics, there were 7,277,000 traffic crashes in the U.S. in 2016, killing 37,461 and injuring 3,144,000 people. Car accidents can cause serious neck and back injury. Injuries to one's neck or back that do not result in a fracture are often referred to as “soft tissue” injuries.
If you have a sustained back and neck injuries in a car accident caused by someone else's negligence, call Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. P.C. We serve Manhattan and New York City, representing injured victims of motor vehicle accidents.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- We are committed to protecting your best interests and persistent in pursuing the compensation you deserve.
- We handle all our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay us no fees until we win your case for you.
- Our lawyers have more than a decade of experience representing clients in New York City.
Neck and Back Injury from New York City Car Accidents
Even minor crashes at slower speeds can cause injury to the back and neck. This may involve damage to the muscles, ligaments, tendons, or bones. The following are some common neck and back injuries sustained in car accidents.
This injury is common in but not limited to rear-end collisions. It involves damage to the muscles, tendons, ligaments, and connective tissue of the neck and upper back. Whiplash is caused by a sudden, whip-like, back and forth motion of the head in a crash.
A traffic crash can cause spinal structures to shift out of place and injure the discs separating and cushioning the vertebrae. Slipped, herniated, or ruptured discs can cause debilitating pain and may require surgery.
Force of impact or compression in car accidents can cause bones to fracture. The clavicle (collarbone) is one of the most frequently broken bones in car crashes.
An auto crash can cause damage to the joints, discs, and vertebrae of the spine and the supporting soft tissues. Many car accident victims suffer from acute mechanical back pain. This condition involves pain in the lower back that may radiate to the buttocks and thighs.
What Are the Symptoms of a Neck and Back Injury after a Crash?
Symptoms of neck and back injuries may be present immediately or days after the accident. They may include:
- Pain in the neck, shoulders, back, or head
- Pain that worsens with activity
- Numbness, prickling, burning, or abnormal sensations of the skin
- Headaches, migraines, vertigo, or difficulty focusing
- Grinding sensation with movement
- Sagging shoulder, arm, or joint
- Restricted range of motion
- Lack of mobility or inability to lift
- Swelling, inflammation, redness, or bruising
- Bump or deformity near the injury
Recovering Compensation for a Neck and Back Injuries
If your neck and back injuries were caused by someone else's negligence, you may have a claim for compensation for the losses you have suffered. Damages you may be entitled to claim include:
- Past and future medical expenses related to the injury
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
Contact Us if You've Experienced a Neck and Back Injury in New York City
Neck and back injuries sustained in a car accident can have long-term consequences for the victim. It is important to have an experienced attorney by your side to investigate your accident, assess the full extent of your losses, and aggressively pursue compensation on your behalf. If you have sustained neck and back injuries in a traffic crash, contact us as soon as possible to schedule a consultation.