Stuyvesant Town in Manhattan with zip codes of 10009 and 10010 is part of Manhattan's Community District 6. It is the largest apartment complex in America with over 20,000 residents. Stuyvesant Town-Peter Cooper Village, sometimes shortened to StuyTown, is a large post-World War II private residential development on the east side of NYC.
If you've been in a bicycle accident while cycling around Manhattan, please contact a Stuyvesant Town bicycle accident attorney to hold the responsible party liable and get the compensation you deserve. Even though bicycling is a great form of exercise and also can be a great way to spend time with family and friends, bicyclists face significant safety risks every time they get on their bikes and share the road with motor vehicles. Sometimes drivers become impatient or aggressive instead of sharing the road as the law requires.
A serious bicycle accident can ruin life for you and your family. You can be stuck with life-changing injuries and financial pressure because bills pile-up while you're out-of-work. But you have legal redress if the accident wasn't your fault. The Stuyvesant Town bicycle accident attorneys at our firm are here to assist you in the event of a bicycle crash.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in StuyTown
Other vehicles upon the roadway typically create the greatest risks to bicyclists on the road. Cyclists typically take precautions to ensure that they can be easily seen by wearing reflective clothing and placing lights and reflectors on their bikes. Bicyclists remain extremely vulnerable because they are not protected by airbags or other safety features like late model cars and SUVs.
Some of the most common ways that drivers cause bicycle accidents include:
- Not keeping a proper lookout
- Not leaving enough space while passing
- Not yielding the right of way
- Turning into the path of a cyclist
- Not maintaining a proper speed
- Not paying enough attention
- Not making proper use of headlights and turn signals
- Driving aggressively
- Drunk driving or driving while ability impaired by drugs
Even though the most serious bicycle accidents typically involve cars and trucks that strike the cyclist, badly designed roads can also be the proximate cause of a bike crash.
Types of Bicycle Accidents that can Happen in Stuyvesant Town
Some of the more common types of bicycle accidents we've seen include:
- A vehicle crosses into a bicycle's path while turning
- The side of a vehicle hooks the bicyclist, causing the cyclist to hit the ground
- Dooring accidents – when a car door opens in front of a cyclist, usually while the car is parallel parked.
- A vehicle strikes the bicyclist from behind
- The operator of a motor vehicle doesn't yield the right of way to a bicyclist or doesn't see the bicyclist and strikes him
- Potholes, cracks, and other road damage may cause a bicyclist to fall or lose control of the bicycle
Types of Injuries from Bike Accidents
When you ride a bicycle, your entire body is vulnerable to injury. Although wearing a helmet can help protect your head, the rest of your body is fully exposed to the force of a collision unless you are wearing other protective items such as knee pads and elbow pads. In the most serious of accidents, even wearing a helmet might be sufficient to prevent you from suffering as the result of a severe head injury.
Bicycle accidents can result in extremely serious injuries, such as:
- Lacerations and bruises
- Sprains and strains, like soft tissue injuries
- Broken or fractured bones
- Traumatic Brain Injuries, sometimes referred to as TBI
Since bicycle accidents are so dangerous, both drivers and cyclists must exercise extra caution to prevent injuries.
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident in Stuyvesant Town, Manhattan and suffered severe injuries, contact Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. PC at 212-240-9465 now to get the wheels of justice spinning for you!