Slip and fall accidents in NYC are common and may result in serious injuries. Although some people are just clumsy, a lot of slip and fall accidents happen because of the negligence of property owners so you should contact an NYC slip and fall lawyer after an accident. If you have been injured by falling due to a sidewalk defect contact NYC slip and fall lawyer Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. PC.
Real property will often show wear and tear over time. But property owners in NY have a responsibility to take the necessary steps to make sure that their property is safe for visitors. They should address potential issues as soon as practicable or clearly warn visitors about the potential dangers. A sign blocking off the area or requesting an employee to keep people away from the area are common responses to hazards. Unfortunately, visitors aren’t always warned, and they may be injured if they trip and fall.
There are different types of dangerous conditions that may cause a slip and fall. Some of them are:
- Uneven pavement;
- Bad lighting;
- Slippery floors;
- Snow and ice; and or freeze/refreeze;
- Sidewalks damaged by tree roots.
Medical bills can add up quickly if you sustained serious injuries and a lot of time out of work, which equals lost wages. Victims may be so seriously injured that they can’t ever return to normal. They may have to live with chronic pain or face a lifetime of medical treatment.
Some of your injuries may include:
- Bone fractures
- Back strains
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Knee injuries
Your NYC personal injury attorney will be instrumental in helping you prove all the elements of the adverse party’s negligence. As any personal injury attorney in Manhattan will tell you, you’re not entitled to damages just because you fell on someone’s property. You have to show that the property owner’s negligence proximately caused your injuries.
What to do After an NYC Slip and Fall Accident
There are some things that you should do after your fall to make sure that evidence related to the accident is preserved. Without evidence to support your claim, your chances of financial recovery are slim.
- What caused your fall? Look for spilled liquid, broken flooring or any other hazardous conditions.
- Did anyone witness your fall? Do your best to obtain the the contact information of witnesses who were in the area when your slip and fall occurred.
- Take photos of the scene. Take out your smartphone and make sure plenty of pictures are preserved.
- Get an incident report filled out. If you fell in a place of business, you should notify the store manager.
- Get immediate medical attention. Even if you don’t think you’re seriously hurt, you should go to a medical provider immediately.
Contact an NYC Slip and Fall Lawyer at Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. PC by calling 212-240-9465.